Automation and smart, digitally connected systems boost effectiveness massively in industry-related sectors. By contrast, automated processes have hitherto barely been used to provide support in offices. Robotic process automation (RPA) carries out simple, repetitive, rule-based processes much faster, more effectively and with no errors.
Software robots make the working day vastly easier: maintaining lists and databases, checking and transferring files, reporting, modifying data in multiple systems, creating user accounts and much more besides can be fully automated.
One example: a member of the sales staff spends around half of their time updating systems. With the aid of RPA this can be optimised to 80% sales activities and 20% system maintenance.
Certain spheres of responsibility call for constant, timely updating of data – the lack of time, however, means data is often only updated once or twice a day. Here RPA helps by immediately implementing all updates and making sure all authorised users are aware of the changes.
Your benefits from automation:
Rapid scaling and permanent execution – 365 days a year, around the clock (24/7)
Manual error sources are reduced, system states monitored permanently and defects identified
Business processes are automated, process costs reduced and employee satisfaction increased
Specific use cases for RPA:
- RPA constantly updates speed restriction sections in a timely fashion without any transfer errors
- With wagon cleaning, RPA helps provide the updated vehicle data
- In the call centre, RPA updates standardised entries on customer calls
- Travel expense billing is completed faster and with no errors using RPA
- Automated dispatch of reminders saves time and money
Software robots can provide assistance wherever long click paths (up to 300 clicks) are required for simple or moderately complex processes. A clear, rule-based decision-making path is a prerequisite; then the software robot can also complete more complex tasks.
Automation in the software area
Read structured data
- Microsoft Office
- API / host applications
- Open applications
- Click buttons
- Fill in forms
- Copy & paste
- Compare data
- Write data
- Send e-mails
- Make decisions on the basis of predefined business rules
Discover the new DB Automation Centre
To coordinate the requirements of the DB Group and the departments and as a contribution to the DB2020+ strategy, the DB Automation Center was recently set up, which centrally controls the following RPA activities:
- Consulting on using software robots in the Group
- Identification of the potential for automation
- Provisioning of best practices and experiences with the use of software robots
- Operation and maintenance on at least one technical platform
- RPA community for regular knowledge sharing
- Inductions in design and use of software robots
Would you like to find out more about what software robots can do for you?
We will happily run through a few examples with you in a live demo.